Monday, February 27, 2012

Under my umbrella, ella, ella.

Fairly recently, reader, I was admonished for my deep desire to be capable of rolling my "r's," but not for any sinful linguistic demand, but because I remarked that the lack of this ability rules out singing Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" properly, found here and here (if Van Halen suits you better).

Here's another (less) disturbing thought: another good reason a man should carry an umbrella in his car is so that he can lend it to women, or walk them places. After all, women do need that covering, for the sake of the angels! :) Just kidding. That's not really related at all.

I detest the song that lends itself to this title.

Also, we watched 45 minutes of Justin Beiber's documentary film "Never Say Never," after which I must declare I've got a fair amount of respect for how intentionally prevalent his family's faith played a part in the making of his success. And that kid's got some musical talent, beyond his Beatle-esque leaning towards pandering to the performance-craze of teenybopper love songs.

I should, given my romantic tendencies, listen to Usher and Boyz II Men. I'll have to get on that.

On the topic of umbrellas:

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust!"
For it is HE who delivers you from the snare of the trapper and from the deadly pestilence.
HE will cover you with HIS pinions, and under HIS wings you may seek refuge;
HIS faithfulness is a shield and bulwark. 
Psalm 91:1-4 (pay attention to the pronouns)


When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches,
for You have been my help,
and in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings after You;
Your right hand upholds me. 
Psalm 63:6-8


Besides the abstract pictures of God that we are taught to cherish as a western culture, THAT class encouraged (not as a substitute or with the implication of superiority) more concrete thought about God, much like the Psalmist depicts God. It is undoubtedly and unequivocally true that God is love, that God is just, and that God is worthy of power, dominion, honor, wealth, and glory from now until beyond time. But it is also true that God is our Father. God is a shepherd. God is a king. God is a stream of living water. God is a master potter. God is a gardener. God is a poet, a playwright, an actor (in the literal sense of the word), a speaker, and WORD itself. It's true that God is the I AM, but it is also true that God was a carpenter. God is shade. God is a mother hen. God is a bridegroom, a kinsman-redeemer, a judge, a priest, a prophet, and a mighty man of war. 

1 comment: