Friday, February 10, 2012

"Yes it is, it's true..."

I've been taking this course called Music 8: The Beatles and the 60s, which I simply adore. It's a blast, and it combines a lot of my favorite things: music (obviously), history, music theory, and the chronology of the Beatles--what inspired them, what made them stand out, and their dramatic influence on history and pop music today. Yesterday, Professor David Brodbeck analyzed "Yes It Is," which he later told us is his favorite Beatles song. Its lyrics are as follows:

If you wear red tonight, remember what I said tonight.
For red is the color that my baby wore, and what's more,
it's true; yes, it is.


Scarlet were the clothes she wore. Everybody knows, I'm sure.
I could remember all the things we planned...
Understand, it's true. Yes, it is; it's true. Yes, it is.


I could be happy with you by my side
if I could forget her... but it's my pride.
Yes, it is; yes, it is.
Oh, Yes, it is, yeah!


Please don't wear red tonight; this is what I said tonight.
For red is the color that will make me blue, in spite of you,
it's true; yes, it is,
it's true; yes, it is. 


This song is beautiful. The Beatles employ a 3-part harmony, which makes me extremely happy. Joyous, even. This song has become my limited theme, in that I share the sentiment of trying desperately to move on by means of intentional forgetfulness. I need to repent of this; intentional forgetfulness of good people, good memories, and good things is wrong. If you forget history... all the music in the world couldn't stop the piper from getting you.

Also,
Resolved: to keep my Facebook dedicated primarily a[n] (albeit miniscule) ministry opportunity. 
Resolved: to never open cards for any occasion until I find solitude.
Resolved: to never mimic an accent different from my own.
Resolved: to be punctual.



1 comment:

  1. I still don't understand your refusal to do accents. It's in no way malicious or making-fun-ery than any other jest among friends.
    Last resolve = win, though. :D

    ReplyDelete