Sunday, February 12, 2012

Justice, Mercy, & Faithfulness

resolved: to give without concern or care
of cost or profit, t'not be burdensome.
resolved: to be faithful and true: a pair
of the virtues required to build a home.
resolved: to see and know the base rules
behind commands which daily guard my eyes
from diving into vile cesspools.
resolved: to bleed my hands in sacrifice
for paralytic friends and family.
resolved: to lead with suff'ring, yielding all
my life and love to Christ, who joyfully
surrender'd thrones and crowns for manger stall.
my thoughts could end without a follow through,
but words alone are void 'n' nowhere near true.
------------------------------
Chiastic Prose, Shakespearean Sonnet-style.

William Sprague requested the college group of Branch of Hope to each write a sonnet as an exercise in creative and methodical thinking, so I decided to torture myself by writing my thoughts as if I were writing an essay full of prose, with resolutions in the style of Jonathan Edwards. I also tried as best as I could to write it "chiastically," which probably isn't a word based on the fact that my computer puts red squiggly lines underneath it, but it's basically a literary tool used in Scripture and numerous other famous works of literature (Dante's pieces, Rowling's Harry Potter, Collin's The Hunger Games, etc.) which centers the thesis at the climax, and then mirroring the "descending action" to the "rising action." Since I couldn't really do this with the final couplet, I instead re-stated my thesis resolution.

Inspirations: Micah 6:8 and Matthew 23:23-24, which lends their words to both my thesis and the title of this poor sonnet.

02/11/12
I don't think I'll bodily be able to share this in person at Branch of Hope's college group since my family may be finding another church body to call home at this present time. This is not a medium in which details may be disclaimed respectfully, so I won't bother with explaining the "why?"s. However, I will post it [the poem] here, in case they read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment