Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Paul is my favorite.

I've known many Paul-s in my life, even in a short nineteen years. The first was a boy named Paul Kim, who was two years my junior. I would beat him in foot races (he was a bit pudgy, and I've always been quick on my feet), but he would challenge me in mathematics, music, and memorizing the Bible. He knew from the young age of eight that he would serve God as a pastor. I don't know where he is now, but he would be 17, and I'm sure he has surpassed my understanding of many things. He was a bright kid.
The next Paul that entered my life was in the form of the  Pastor Paul Viggiano  of  Branch of Hope OPC . He taught me to cool my jets and stop blasting people for their faulty theology and worldviews. Sarcasm lost its grip on me, and I've yet to attempt taming it again. I'll admit, reader, that I've taken the easier solution of the avoidance of sin rather than the more difficult careful controlling of my tongue to be able to know the right words for each situation, including the ones that call for sarcastic and emphatic (even expletives, when necessary) language. He's been a great preacher, and he's taught me much about an optimistic view of Jesus' work of redemption on the cross and in His resurrection, which then flavours and colours all other aspects of life. He taught me much about marriage and the sovereignty of God, and how they can be used as object lessons for one another to become graspable.

I'm going to throw my two cents in here about Paul McCartney before I move on to my last Paul (who really isn't called Paul at all, but for all intents and purposes of this artful narrative he is the third Paul I've met). Paul McCartney is my favorite Beatle, for reasons beyond the fact that he's one of the two remaining members alive today. He had a way with melodies as John Lennon had a way with words and puns. If you know me fairly well, reader, you may be surprised that I'd not favor John Lennon for his pessimistically sarcastic and punny innuendo. Perhaps it's because I relate too closely with Lennon. As a Christian, however, that sort of pessimism has no place in my life. Here's why I like Paul the best.
Paul McCartney bit the bullet for the band when they lost their fifth member (a bassist) early in their career, long before they were called The Beatles. They decided that one of them could drop the guitar and pick up the bass to become a quartet. So Paul, being the most musically gifted, picked up the bass guitar, and reinvented the purpose of the bass guitar.
Paul McCartney created beautiful vocal melodies as a composer. His songs are generally less dominated by chords as John Lennon's were, but made up for the lack of instrumental depth in the background by fueling the narrative by his voice... and he could sing pretty well. He also made sure to include a melody for himself in a complicated bass guitar complementary melody.
Paul McCartney was optimistic. His songs (at least the ones I've heard so far, as my class is forcing a chronological view of this band) all use the psychological effects major and minor keys have upon the human mind to fuel the narrative. Prime example here ("We Can Work It Out") . The verses are in a major key, but end neutrally, which makes the listener honestly wonder whether or not "we can work it out". The bridge (which also does a cool time switch to 3-beat time!) switches to minor (compliments of John Lennon). The reason I like Paul McCartney the best is that the song ends in the major key.

The most recent Paul I've met (for the purposes of this narrative, I won't include acquaintances) is a man after God's own heart. I've no doubt that he will be a Paul like the apostle, preaching good news to people in far-off islands, and I'm happy to play the role of Barnabas to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment