Monday, February 20, 2012

I joy to call Thee mine.

I am SO happy right now, I can hardly be. My brother said that he's "formally become a Christian"! I don't know how to describe that, but it's the sort of thing a not-quite-so-covenant-child would say, reader. I'm sure I would have said as much of myself had I been a better historian and taken better care of noting God's hand in my life.

Oh, and the Southern Presbytery of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church held its High School/Collegiate Winter Camp this past weekend. Pastor Mark Schroeder preached on biblical courtship, which was absolutely appropriate for me to hear. It seems like all of the topics have been completely applicable and apropo whenever I go there.

This was my second year driving up the mountain and my fifth year in a row of camping with the godly young men and women of my presbytery. They are constantly a blessing, and I pray that I was the same for them. Mary York asked me how many years I'd been coming attending the Winter Camp by asking me to name the different skits I performed in each year. I couldn't; the skits were never a key I was never a huge force in my group's skit to make them the memorable factor of camp. Instead, I began to recall the different friends I'd met (sometimes multiple times because of my poor memory) and grown to love [as a brother in Christ]. Mary York was the first person I met, upon setting foot in the Meadow Lodge some five years ago. I didn't know hardly knew the kids from my own church, the Branch of Hope in Torrance, California; how was I to scoot my shy behind into making friends? Yet Mary York turned around from her group of girls, thrust her hand out, and then proceeded to repeatedly forget my name over the next twenty-four hours. I forgave her; my own fallacious memory is bound by my conscience otherwise. I'll continue to post my first memories of friends as they are recalled in order.

Some notable quotations:

"Now that I'm formally a Christian, I agree with like everything you [Joseph] say that used to annoy me." ~Calvin Pollard
"Looking at Joseph makes me feel safe." ~Ethan Blake (Or something like that. It was a pretty cool thing to say, seeing how Pastor Crum enjoyed backing up the Blake's van so that those of us sitting in the back could see over the precipices of the mountain)
"Your mom's lord!" ~Charisa Dorn, mimicking Mary York in a skit
"What will I do with your daughter? You mean today... or next week?" ~Neal Hirtzel, playing a pretty jerk-move character in a skit
"It'll come out in the wash...board abs." ~Austin Gorrell, in a skit
"Well, Daddy, you know what happens at Winter Camp." ~Lydia Gorrell, in a skit

Some notable gleanings from the sermons and devotions:

Past relationships tear your heart into pieces like Horcruxes.
Talk to all parents involved and the elders of your church for wisdom regarding marriage.
Marriage is a good thing.
Don't lather make-up with a trowel.
Be patient; there is a godly spouse.
Courtship is like the law; it's designed to serve and protect those at risk and vulnerable. 
Courtship shows true colors fairly quickly.
Do make checklists.
Don't make checklists.
Holding hands is evil. (jk)
Reserve physical displays of affection for public places, especially with her family present.
Get a job, bro.
Lord, have mercy.
Sons are sent; daughters are given. God gave Eve to Adam; creation ordinance.
Men love their wives like Christ loved the church, delivering himself for her.

Gospel:
I have been crucified with Christ; 
and it is no longer I who live,
but Christ lives in me;
and insofar as I live in the flesh 
I live by faith in the Son of God,
who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 
-Galatians 2:20

Song (O Sacred Head, Now Wounded):
O sacred Head now wounded, with grief and shame weighed down,
now scornfully surrounded with thorns-- Thine only crown.
O sacred Head, what glory, what bliss 'til now was Thine!
Yet, though despised and gory, I joy to call Thee mine.~
What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered was all for sinners' gain.
Mine, mine was the transgression; but Thine the deadly pain!
Lo[ok], here I fall, my Savior! 'Tis I deserve Thy place;
Look on my with Thy favor; vouchsafe to me Thy grace.~
Men mock and taunt and jeer Thee, Thou noble countenance,
Though mighty worlds shall fear Thee and flee before thy glance.
How pale Thou art with anguish, with sore abuse and scorn!
How does that visage languish, which once was bright as morn!~
My burden in Thy Passion, Lord, Thou hast borne for me,
for it was my transgression which brought this woe to Thee.
I cast me down before Thee! Wrath were my rightful lot;
have mercy, I implore Thee! Redeemer, spurn me not!~
My Shepherd, now receive me! My Guardian, own me Thine!
Great blessings Thou didst give me, O Source of gifts divine!
Thy lips have often fed me with words of truth and love;
Thy Spirit oft hath led me to heavenly joys above. ~
What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest Friend
for this, Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever! And should I fainting be...
Lord, let me never, never outlive my love for Thee.~
My Savior, be Thou near me when death is at my door.
Then let Thy presence cheer me; forsake me nevermore!
When soul and body languish, O leave me not alone
but take away mine anguish by virtue of Thine own!~
Be Thou my Consolation, my Shield when I must die.
Remind me of Thy passion when my last hour draws nigh.
Mine eyes shall then behold Thee, upon Thy cross shall dwell!
My heart by faith enfold Thee--who dieth thus dies well!

1 comment:

  1. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAY this post makes me want to cry and dance and sing.

    ReplyDelete