Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I can show you the world. {Part 2}

Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory; and he said to Him, "All these things I will give You if You fall down and worship me."
Matthew 4:8-9

My parents think that making money and raising a family with that money will be necessary and sufficient to satisfy me and to make me happy. Because that's what they say--that they want me to to be happy and to have a "better life."

I'm not sure what that means, since "better" implies a comparison, and since my parents come from radically different pasts, I could easily satisfy living a "better life" than one or the other. My mom grew up in the aftermath of the Korean War of the '60s, so if I grow up to be rich enough to afford three different meals for myself and a family, I'd satisfy her. My dad, on the other hand, grew up in Manhattan Beach and I have followed a similar path as his so far, for better and worse. For instance, I graduated from Valley Christian in Cerritos, 30 years after he did. But as he's in the computer business, there are a limited number of jobs that would financially set me in a "better life" than the exponentially-increasingly valuable IT field. (See what I did there? That's right. Adverb-adverb) So what am I to do?

"Honor your father and mother..." Exodus 20:12a NASB
"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." Ephesians 6:1 NASB


The advice one gives and receives for the direction of one's life (especially important in these years of college, debts, and careers) really hinges on what one considers the most important thing in life. After all, one's purpose is reflected in one's treasure. Yet I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they aren't telling me to store treasures on the earth, pursuing money.

I will glorify God and trust in Him to provide for me in my service to Him. He knows that I need food and clothing--yet His words will be my food and sustenance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment