Monday, October 24, 2011

Clarity - Tension - Resolution

Music is amazing. Math is amazing. Language is amazing. And these are just three ways God shouts at us, breathing sweet melodies of logic, law, and linguistic truth, communicating His unchangeable beauty, power, and wisdom. 


"Do-re-mi-Re-mi-fa-Mi-fa-sol-Sol-la-ti-La-ti-do-Ti-do-re-Do!"


If God's love is a song, written in pages of paper, they would be priceless. More excellent than gold, sweeter than honey; more powerful than fire to consume all false songs. For what are the other songs, if poor facsimiles of the truest love song? What other dances compare to the purity of adoration and joy before the Father of joy? What other words compare to the words of pardon, that the Word (who created heavens and earth) would separate my sins from me to mathematically impossible ends, that I could see how far His love goes: in a word--forever. 


If God's love is an equation, it would be unsolvable, yet understandable, like pi (π). Pi is the Greek letter for P (simple enough), but I call it Perfection, Persistence, Pardon. Pi is equal to 22/7. Simple, right? Yet it goes on and on, since the number 7 is a prime number, and that extra 1/7 just throws things off. And the number 7 was used very symbolically in both testaments of the Bible to represent the completed (or is it?) work of creation by God, and how He rested on the 7th day.  


If God's love is a language, it would be Czech, because it would take us an eternity to learn! Aha. Aha. Aha. But really-- God speaks to His people in the languages (and culture) He created and diversified over history. In fact, God uses prophets who sometimes have quite the sarcastic, witty, or poetic tongues needed to deliver the love letters God wrote for His people. Can you believe that? An infallible God uses fallible men and women to accomplish His plans for His glorious history of His love for mankind. 


He stoops not only to whisper "I love you. I held your hands as you learned to walk out of the house of bondage. I provided for you in the deserts of your hearts, and I led you like a shepherd beside the streams of living water that I gave from Myself. I made you satisfied with the green pastures of my daily provision, and I did not give you reasons to hunger or to be conceited to abandon me. You were special from all the nations only because I dwelt among you."


And His people rebelled against the source of their freedom, longing instead for the chains of promiscuous slavery. So He destroyed and released them of their covenant. 


Yet He ransomed them--for His love is greater than our loss. He tabernacled among us again, and brought His love to us. And His people spit in His face and exiled Him and killed Him for being an insurrectionist. The Prince of Peace was greater than Pax Romana, the King of kings is greater than Caesars He appointed, the Son of God was the truest peacemaker, having reconciled justice with mercy by taking our sins on Himself, who knew no sin, that He might present for Himself a blameless and spotless bride. 


And she will be beautiful. 


I learned the word for "destroy, release, ransom" today in Greek. I don't know how to type in Greek, but it's approximately transliterated: Luo
--> EDIT: λυω  Thanks, Vicki. 


"Yet the LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me and [be] my prayer unto the God of my life." Psalm 42:8


How do these words relate? I know they have different etymologies, but... give it a shot. Try making a sentence with them all:


Salvation
Salve
Save
Savage





Do (1), Re (2), Mi (3), Fa (4), Sol (5), La (6), Ti (7), Do(1/8): Days of Creation? Now, there's a thought... 



No comments:

Post a Comment