Sunday, March 11, 2012

"...you are always My poetry."

God is a poet. Seriously.

ποιεω: make, create, do. (those are only the definitions my elementary Greek textbook gives; I'm sure this verb means a variety of other related actions)

From this Greek word, we get English words like poem and poet.

"Always" (Switchfoot, Hello Hurricane)  ( listen to it here, or with the  -  alternate bridge version

This is the start; this is your heart;
This is the place you were born.
This is the sun; these are your lungs;
This is the day you were born.

And I am always yours.
This is the scar deep in your heart;
This is the place you were born.
This is the hole where most of your soul
Comes ripping out
From the places you've been torn.

And it is always yours...
But I am always yours.

(bridge)
Hallelujah! i'm caving in!
Hallelujah! i'm in love again!
Hallelujah! i'm a wretched man!
Hallelujah! Every breath is a second chance!

And it is always Yours.
And i am always Yours!

(alternate bridge)
you will always have a spark of Me--
the part that shines in your eyes.
you are always My poetry;
you are always Mine.

And I am always yours.

This is one of my favorite Switchfoot songs off that record because of the way it was recorded with different bridges. As always, since I'm a Christian, I'll be listening to and interpreting this song as if a Christian were singing it--which, coincidentally, happens to be the case with Switchfoot. Yay! I only wish they wouldn't work so hard to hide that fact in their lyrics. Ah, well.

The original bridge is the repentant man's praise for redemption, giving "it" (his heart) forever and always to God, who declares the man's heart to be scarred and torn and falling apart. God describes the beginning of this man's heart, then refrains with the faithful "I am always yours." Switchfoot believes in the doctrine of sovereignty and election, eh? I'm assuming God is still the speaker in the refrain before the bridge, because of that word "but," which then brings back the statement of God's faithfulness, even before regenerating this man's heart. Switchfoot describes God as saying this man's heart, torn and scarred and bleeding profusely, is always his, but that God is always his, so it's alright. 

In the original bridge, the man repents, caving in his sinfulness, but seeing that every breath is a second chance. He then pledges himself and his heart to God. 

In the alternate bridge, God continues to narrate, declaring that this man is made in His image, is His craftsmanship, and forever His, though the man (apparently) doesn't know it yet. 

I'm not sure which I like better.

No comments:

Post a Comment