Friday, March 16, 2012

A taste before the third installment of my biography on John Calvin.

1. What is my strongest topic/paragraph and why?
My strongest topic and paragraph is the one that demonstrates how Calvin's success largely supports Malcolm Gladwell's "right time; right place" argument/complication of success. My fourth paragraph details this, using the example of Joe Flom, the Jewish lawyer of New York.

2. What is my weakest topic/paragraph and why?
My weakest paragraph and thought (though it has much potential) is my last body paragraph so far, mainly because it is incomplete and is not fully researched as of yet.

3. What can I do to improve my weakest topic and, by extension, any topics that are not my strongest?
More research and closer attention to transition sentences relating to my thesis will most improve my essay.

4. What is my personal goal for this final essay? Why? What aspects of my writing am I trying to improve?
My personal goal is not just to learn more about research and my topic as a religious source of Calvinistic Christianity, but also simply to be a better historian, seeing links in stories. I'd also like to be able to use this history to demonstrate a new meaning of success, and how John Calvin is defined by this meaning of mine as well as the conventional and Gladwellian means of success.

5. What part of analytical writing comes easiest to me? What part is most difficult?
Writing elegantly and unbiasedly & unashamedly presenting truisms comes naturally to me, while writing transition statements that relate to a single thesis are not always as pressing to my mind.

6. Finally: What part of writing and rhetoric most shakes my confidence? How can I increase my confidence in any rhetorical situation?
Research sometimes seems unbearably large, even for relatively short papers as these. I also seem to be preparing for a dissertation, which is why the great amount of information available on the internet shakes my confidence. My courage is upheld by the promise that my words will last to be useful for my following footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment