Saturday, March 17, 2012

Investment

Disclaimer: This post will be haphazard. I've got a little bit of work to finish before sleep tonight, but Ineed to write this before Iforget. Gah. My spacebar refuses to leave room when Icall myself "I." (Hah. Just kidding. Ifleshed things out.)

Random thing:My car's bluetooth system isn't speaking to my phone anymore. I hope they can work things out quickly, because this no longer allows me to stage calls in the car without my hands. Cry more, Joseph. Yeah, well, it happens more often than I'd think-- even if there are only a few people that call me.

Greek word + etymology: κακός = bad, harmful, evil (and probably more things. Why did ancient languages have to be so nuanced? Why not invent more words to fit definitions?) One word English derives from the Greek is the word "cacophony," which is a compound word with the other Greek word "φωνή," which means "voice, sound" and probably more. So cacophony = bad sound.

Which leads me to part of this post's topic.

I adore the architectural design of UC Irvine. It was designed in the '60s in the shape of a circle, with each school scattered around the circumference. This was a rough design, as the medical buildings are a bit farther than the rest, having been annexed later. This design was also relevant of the time, as the architects were instructed to avoid having the library, as customarily the case, be placed in the center of the school, lending itself as a middle point for students of all classifications of gather [and protest, with the spirit of the 1960s filling the air. Or maybe that's marijuana.]. Anyways, around UC Irvine, this circumference is dubbed "Ring Road," and has become infamous for "flyering and tabling," as my friends call the solicitation and fundraising that begins promptly at 9 A.M. and closes around 5 P.M. Many of these clubs or organizations are for great causes; many are not. There is always a Christian bible study selling Korean Barbeque ($5) or Boba ($2) or Tacos ($2 for 1, $3 for 2). A rare treat might consist of waffles or Chipotle burritos or Hawaiian chicken. Ihaven't purchased any of these things, even when the bible study I'm invested in raising funds for foreign missions (to Kenya and China, mainly). There are also always fraternities and sororities out and about, with large cardboard Greek letters and couches, wife-beaters and footballs, short shorts and sunglasses, even when Irvine gets a windy day of rain. Sometimes an occasional Muslim group will rally. There could be an evangelist, shouting from atop a small box, waving his cane around to the scorn and shouting of students. My classmates! And they silence a man who believes he speaks truth... in a way that draws derision. Yeah, maybe street preaching on a humanist religious institution (for that's what secular American colleges are today) is not the best way to win souls. To preach Ezekiel 3:17-21-style, seeking [only] to place a truthful warning in the ears of those trapped by sin, and thus delivering one's self from divinely mandated responsibility, has a time and a place, but it is important to note that Ezekiel's message was not sent to deliver souls, but to condemn them for "having known better," if you will. I'm not suggesting subverting the divisive nature of the gospel, but suggesting tactfulness, if one truly has faith that God can save even the hardest heart.

Interesting thought, which Iwill perform at the next possible opportunity in which Ihave at least 5 minutes: A great many of these solicitors could be used as witnessing opportunities. Bone Marrow Registration agents could be asked why it is that life is valuable, and why compassion and selfless love are praiseworthy. The same could be said of the reasoning behind the financial donations begged for by the Hands-for-Africa agents who accost solitary pedestrians on Ring Road.

But a great many of the persons handing out fliers are for events Iwill never attend, nor are interested in. A flier advertising a part-time work-at-home student-targeted job, promising "$16/hour starting pay"(It's a lie.) are a favorite. Sometimes there are coupons for new restaurants. Sometimes fraternities advertise pledge events. Sometimes there are paintball outings, snowboard club fundraisers, other bible studies, concerts, UCI "away" sporting events, comedy nights.

Maaaaaaan. Idon't want your flier. So Itook it, and Ithrew it on the GROUND! (Lonely Island)


But at the same time, it's a different response that goes through my mind when my bible study flier gets rejected, or ripped, or thrown in the nearest trashcan. It's not like the rest of the events. This is serious business. I can't detach myself from this message like the people who are paid to hand out coupon-books or the silly $16/hour fliers. Of course, Christians aren't the message of the gospel, but Christ is the identity of the church. For me to be so flippant of an evangelist to say, "Your loss, bro," would be an insult to the gravity of Christ's condescension and obedience and atonement, and would propagate the subjective and apathetic mindset towards the gospel that has become normal for our American generation.

Sometimes Ithink I'd like to be a preacher in a different land, just as Isometimes entertain the sinful thoughts of abdicating my responsibilities to my family.

EDIT: Itotally forgot the other part of this post! I helped Long Beach OPC's neighborhood outreach flyering thing yesterday. We got to have many interesting conversations with people from all religious backgrounds, but many doors simply weren't answered, or had "NO SOLICITING" signs that we... sometimes didn't honor, but that's ok! The gospel isn't just an advertisement. Pastor Lim said we shouldn't have done that, for God can use other means if a person He chooses to save is not receptive to door-to-door evangelism.

I have been crucified with Christ;
and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me;
and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God,
who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 
Galatians 2:20 NASB

Book Suggestion: The Gospel and Personal Evangelism (Pastor Mark Dever) This book has been amazing. It's also given me tips on how to cultivate long-term relationships and to create openings for sharing the gospel. After all, the gospel is good news that Jesus came to take our sins and give us his right standing before God!

Resolved: to stop friending people on Facebook at 700 friends, and to be wise about adding and dropping friendships, knowing that I cannot stretch myself too thin without shortchanging them.

No comments:

Post a Comment