Friday, March 2, 2012

Odds and ends.

Resolved: to only (as long as I can) shave Sunday mornings, to make a point to myself to remember the purpose of shaving--in my case, to not look scruffy and look clean and groomed instead.
Resolved: to use the words that end in -one rather than -body (someone > somebody, no one > nobody), and to remember what each is saying about persons and bodies.
Resolved: to never grow pretentious or arrogant with credential knowledge.

In my Introductory Greek textbook, 
1. the verb "to save, to bring safely (to)" [σωίζω] (pronounced soi'zo"...I couldn't get the iota to subscript) 
2. and the adjective "terrible, dreadful, marvelous, mischievously clever" [δεινός, -η, -ον] (pronounced di'-nos')
are adjacent to one another. Now, I'm sure the author of this textbook did not intend for a student to make this metaphorical connection, but I like doing just that anyways, especially with the words I know will show up in the New Testament. 

God's master plan of salvation is all those definitions of δεινός and more! On a side note, this is another reason I like the King James / American Standard translations of the Bible--that they translate some of these words as "dreadful" or "terrible" instead of the equivalent definition/connotation found in the English Standard / New International-- "wonderful" or "awesome." And truly, our God is awesome and awful, terrible and terrifying, dreadful and wonderful.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved:
how precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed!
"Amazing Grace," John Newton

Dream
I dreamt last night that the beach had suddenly become only a few blocks from my house. It isn't more than a few miles as is, but I dreamt that the sand just began beyond one of the traffic lights that lead to the airport. Instead of the Long Beach airport, beautiful blue water crested along the shore. I knew then that I was dreaming--Long Beach doesn't have waves! Don't ask why the proximity didn't get me. I woke up when the pavement beneath my feet stopped and I stepped onto the sand. 

Paradox
Christianity is full of paradoxes. You must lose your life to find it. I just translated a sample Greek sentence for homework, and came across this line: 
καίπερ σου πολλωι  αμεινονος όντος, παρά δόξαν στρατηγος εκριθην. 
Which, when translated, means:
Although you are better (qualified) by far, contrary to expectation I was chosen [to be] general. 

Para + dox literally means "contrary to + common belief / popular opinion." 

--But wait a sec', Joseph. Where does doxology come in? Orthodoxy and heterodoxy fit that bill, but what of doxlogy? 

Doxology came from the 70 OT scholars who translated the OT word "slava," (I don't have a Hebrew transliteration tool! Bah!) which means "glory," by using the Greek word "doxa" in the translation of the Septuagint. This, reader, is much like the Russian word "slava." 

The ultimate paradox is Jesus, God the Son, who "emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross" (Philippians 2:7-8)

Greek class has reminded me of a critical lesson, learned first in grammar, but retains ultimate significance:
The "predicate nominative" means a noun in the predicate of a sentence is being linked in identity to the subject. It actually was the very sentence I translated above that reminded me of this (and so much more!)-- when the book says "I was chosen to be general," general is in the nominative, which means "I = general." This applies to adjectives too. The sentence could have read "I was judged guilty," which also could be said "I = guilty." The second noun (the predicate nominative) IS the indicative identity of the first.

-Big words, Joseph. Stop it. 

Ok. Basically, the small and simple sentence "I was chosen/called/judged/named such-and-such" is neither a command nor a question. It is declarative; the first noun (the subject) passively receives the second noun's (the predicate nominative's) title/attribute/position. 

-Ok, fine. Get to the point.

When God saves a sinner, He declares them righteous. He declares them to be a son or a daughter. He declares them to be a holy priest, able to stand before the throne of the King. He declares them to be "not guilty." He declares them forgiven, their sins washed in the blood of Christ. He declares them regenerate, a new man. 

Which sorta brings me half-way full circle. Doxology! 

Doxa + logos = glory word. 

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!
Praise Him all creatures here below!
Praise Him above you heavenly host!
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!
Amen!

2 comments:

  1. And in answer to not being pretentious about knowledge: Doxology inspires humility. Full circle.

    ReplyDelete