Thursday, September 8, 2011

July 7th: The Memory of a City That Dwells in Safety

7/7/11
We went into town, Father, and by Your grace, You made me recall some details of the city. Thank You for bringing us home safely yesterday, and for the delicious food that was waiting. Thank You even more for letting me stay at the Farniks' home--this was a very surprising blessing. I did indeed "lay down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety" (Psalm 4:8). Your love has overflowed on me, Father. Thank You for the sunrise.

Today You gave me the opportunity to replenish and stock up the supply of bus fares. Thank You, Father, for giving us an affordable means of transportation. Thank You also for weeding out sin from my heart, as I weed out the gardens You give me. You showed me how alike the weeds and the "wheat" look, especially while immature.

--The prayer group is going over Hosea, and we're trying to find the structure of the possible chiasm(s??) in Hosea 1-3. It's going to be interesting, but I wonder why I haven't kept my promise to begin the Bible study in my own home. I truly am not the man of faithful action that I should be.

You know something beautiful? I just now remembered that the Winslows and I left July 5th, the morning right after Independence Day. This means I was doing all my last-minute packing, unnecessary worrying, and fitful resting through the celebrations and fireworks I missed. Powerful object lesson; God wins every time. And mission work is always more important than fireworks, because the celebration is greater when a single soul is brought to salvation than when thirteen colonies declare independence from oppressive rulers. Never forget that, reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment