Tuesday, September 6, 2011

July 5th - 6th: Airplane blessings, bad movies, and the excess of capitalizing pronouns that stand in for God.

Well, I slacked off even before I started. This is the first installment of my prayers prior to, during, and following my mission trip in the Czech Republic two months ago. I'd meant to start exactly two months (my flight left July 5th), but I messed up. But with the time difference and the jetlag it took the plane and my watch two days to synchronize with the excited rhythm of my restless heart. So! Read on, reader, and soar on eagles' wings in the presence of God's peace.

7/5/11
Today is the first day of my last labor of love away from home, Father. Thank you for providing the funds, preserving my life and health, giving traveling mercies thus far, and especially for the desire to share the life-changing good news--the Your greatest gift of all to men: when Jesus died in our place. It all points back to Your love, Father.

I now kneel before the throne of grace, a wretched man made whole by the King's bloody sacrifice, and I only ask that You keep Your kingdom, Your people, Your love, and Your self always before me, to the point that I physically cannot wake, sleep, breathe, move, or think without first proclaiming "Worthy is the Lamb." Bless Your people now as we strive to speak and live out Your love. Our efforts are in vain if You do not keep watch and build the house for us, over us, and through our work.

I do not regret giving up the beach or the mountains to serve You and the church abroad. This is a fickle thing, but I am weak, Father.
Be Thou my great Father; make me Thy true son.
"I am Yours; save me;" for You sought the precepts I failed to obey.

7/6/11
Father, my watch tells me that this is the second day of my trip. I thank You for providing entertainment in the form of four movies--"Green Hornet," "Just Go With It," "Unknown," and the first bits of "Jane Eyre." Forgive me for not using this time wisely by sleeping, or praying, or studying Your word, or evangelizing.

The spaghetti w/ spinach was scrumptious. Thank You for keeping me hydrated, Father. Abide with me, Spirit; fast falls the eventide.

--The airplane food was actually pretty good. And I was able to have a decent conversation with the stewardesses. And though the Winslows were in a distant zone of the plane, I was never alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment