Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Personal #3: Some thoughts.

Whenever I wake up in the mornings, I'm either greeted by the sun or a box of REALLY old computer paper (so old it's 9 &1/2 " by 11") and a stuffed shark, depending on which way I wake up facing. The moon migrates around my room, if I have the blinds open, and disappears behind the brick fireplace. It's really more ornamental than practical--my room bleeds heat because of all the windows. Plus, it burns gas instead of wood, which takes away part of the fun.

Wood warms a man twice; once, when he chops it, and again in the fire.


I've ordered tons of books this past year, and snatched plenty from my family's bookshelves. Many of the thick theological books are unopened. Some of them are even wrapped in plastic, which means they must've been bought in a time when bookstores 1) thrived, and 2) didn't appreciate being treated like a library. I'll probably go abuse Barnes & Noble this weekend to research John Calvin. Would that break the sabbath, if I'd be doing it for school as my primary job? Or what about Greek? Now that I'm being graded, as opposed to studying voluntarily, does Greek become sinful for being studied on the sabbath? Christian, tell me yes or no; My conscience says so.

R.C. Sproul has a nice voice.

Jesus said to not neglect the former commands [following the law to the letter], but especially don't forget the latter [obeying the spirit of the law]!

I just finished listening to the audiobook version of N.D. Wilson's 100 Cupboards, and I liked it. The librarian looked at me funnily when the CDs checked out as a "Children's Book," but that just means I don't have to pay a fee!

I need to read theology and think deep thoughts after God's heart, but I musn't ever forget the magic of the Logos.

We're to be like children, but we're to also mature to desire more than just milk! Is this a paradox?

A few good friends of mine say that I should be more careful about what I post here, and I agree--some prayers are to remain between a person and God. But at the same time, I don't want this blog to remain an outlet for my amateur exegesis of Scripture, or writing appropriate song lyrics, or perhaps a bit of poetry or prose. I can write literary analyses or rhetoric, but metaphors require a real situation to relate something allegorically. It seems I need to still find better middle ground.

2 comments:

  1. You know my opinion on the sabbath. I say go ahead and study Greek. :D But you also know you disagree with me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and I'm honored to be called a "good friend." =)

    ReplyDelete