Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Be Thou my soul's shelter"

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
be all else but naught to me, save that Thou art!
Be Thou my best thought in the day and the night;
both waking and sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my wisdom; be Thou my true word;
be Thou ever with me and I with Thee, Lord.
Be Thou my great Father and I Thy true son;
be Thou in me dwelling and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my breastplate--my sword for the fight.
Be Thou my whole armor; be Thou my true might;
be Thou my soul's shelter; be Thou my strong tower.
O raise Thou my heav'nward, great Power of my power.

Riches I need not, nor man's empty praise.
Be Thou mine inheritance now and always;
be Thou and Thou only the first in my heart.
O Sov'reign of heaven, my treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, Thou heaven's bright sun,
O grant me its joys after vict'ry is won!
Great heart of my own heart, whatever befalls,
still be Thou my vision, O Ruler of all.

(Eden's Bridge, alternate translation of the Irish hymn)

No comments:

Post a Comment