Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An update.

Resolved: to not start writing anything new on this blog (besides incredible new installments) until I have finished my incomplete thoughts. 


A brief update:
Calvin's car was totaled in the crash. The passenger side (where my mom was sitting) airbag did not deploy, which probably exacerbated her pains. She took the rest of last week off and was pained so much to request this week off as well with a doctor's suggestion.

"Greek is hard... in what other class do you learn SO much? You certainly get your money's worth in this class." --Dr. Claxton, my Greek professor.

Greek is hard. My Research Design class and my two Psychology classes are easy. Unbelievably easy. This is not a good combination for apathetic me-- but perhaps if I prayed and worked out my apathy these classes would not be so difficult to conquer, huge difficulty gap as they have.

I might have a job next year, which will require discipline on my part. Can't be a P.E. teacher and show up late, can I? And you know what they say about P.E. teachers.... just kiddin'. Being a P.E. teacher is hard work! Rather than try to clearly teach subjects to students sitting in chairs, P.E. teachers must control little beasts to inspire and instill honesty, sportsmanship, cooperation, and a grace-filled attitude regarding weaker persons, wins, losses, and injuries. Buuuut all that's not happening just yet. I've got to figure out my schedule in the next couple weeks.
----------------
There's theological weight to the English nuance to the word "husband," meaning "gardener." Many other languages have a uni-sex word for spouse (I think of the Spanish "esposo/esposa"), but English reverts closer to the Creation mandate of tending one's garden, especially one's marriage.

There's theological weight to the Greek word "γάμος" meaning marriage, and not just "civil union." Polygamy, monogamous, etc. all revolve around marriage, not just multiple wives. 

Also, "etsy ketsy" is apparently the Greek equivalent to the Spanish "mas o menos."

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Any confirmation there, Vicki? I took it at face value, since the woman's about old enough to have lived with the Greeks...JUST KIDDING!

      Delete