Sunday, May 29, 2011

Like a knife.

My writing instructor once asked the question-- "What do you truly love? What would be like a knife in your chest if you were forced to live without it?" He was asking for purely physical responses, but in hindsight, I believe could be satisfied if He took all of my physical things. In Christ, I own everything, so I can freely give all things. The LORD gives and the LORD takes away; Blessed be the Name of the LORD. But what of these:

The embrace of my mother?
The protection of a father's arms?
The kiss of a loving wife?
The confidence of a mentor?
The wisdom and guidance of elders?
The respect of the little feet that follow?
The bodily comfort and health of everyday youthful life?
All the many "things" God has blessed me with?
The prayers of brothers and sisters in Christ?

Where do I draw these lines? It's possible to live, albeit painfully, with a knife in the chest.

But this I know: I cannot live, or even imagine living without the rejuvenating and inspiring Spirit of Jesus, and the daily miracle of faith that shackles me to the throne of grace. Such a deceitfully wicked heart of mine can only ultimately and desperately cling to one "true love"-- the Redeemer of my soul and Captain of my salvation. The body cannot live without its Head.

What do you truly love?

No comments:

Post a Comment