Monday, January 27, 2014

Jesus is better than a "rebel without a cause."

Lately, I've been studying Luke 14:25-35 where Jesus teaches on discipleship. Something struck me, reader, which you (being the smarty-pants that you certainly are!) will probably dismiss as a given. But as for me, though I am finishing my philosophy classes at UC Irvine, I'm still feeling a little bit post-modern about my faith: What's real? Where are the foundations? Who is my vision?

Luke 14:25-26 (underline added for emphasis)
And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, 
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

This verse has always been given to me in anticipation of suffering, of self-denial, of comparatively loving Jesus more than life itself and all the loveliest, goodest, and truest blessings he gives to me. Be ready, the preacher says. Carry your cross daily. Otherwise you're no true follower of the savior who died for you.

But what of the second part of the warning Jesus gives? We must bear the cross of shame AND follow Jesus in order to be a disciple. Bearing the reproach of a cause is has become a thing in our culture. Everybody loves a martyr, though he be a suicide bombing terrorist. But martyrdom is stupid if the resurrection isn't a certain hope: for why should my unborn children benefit from my years of covenantal and postmillenial toil (a la MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech and Solomon's Ecclesiastes) if it costs me everything? But it costs me nothing if it is Jesus's cross.

Yes-- you say-- but of course, Joseph. A disciple is a follower, so following a master is a given for disciples!

Yes. You're right. But how often do I myself forget to follow Jesus? How often do I delude myself into the snares of both older and younger brothers of the last part of Jesus's parable in the following chapter ("The Prodigal")-- that sin is worth the cost: damage to my soul (and others'!), besides the terrible anger of God?

No. For those made stupid by the present terror of sin, remembering to actively follow Jesus besides remembering how to debate for Pro-Life and postmillenial worldviews is a cattle prod in the right direction.

Because crucified men do not sleepwalk in their deathly march. 

No comments:

Post a Comment