Saturday, January 12, 2013

BOR_Chapter 11: Freshman Year (9th grade)

Recall your freshman year in high school. Describe the highs and lows of your first year of high school.

Freshman year... I wish that I could relive you, but I also love the way God has worked you perfectly.

This topic is really pertinent to my life, because I can see my little brother live his freshman year and make [both] similar and different blunders like the ones I'm familiar with in my own history, and I distinctly remember the exact hostility and rebellious attitude he possesses equally in my own life three years ago. Three years is a long time to recall details on demand, but not quite long enough to recall the significant long-term memories. I do remember a lot of trivial things about freshman year, though...

Freshman year was a real psychological trip because I was accustomed to the superior feeling of owning Middle School as a big, bad 8th grader. But the ladder only leveled off to reveal a bigger ladder, which I had to climb from the first rung yet again!

Freshman year was great because I finally got off the perpetually-tardy bus at the high school, so I had a few more minutes to find my locker, among upperclassmen. That was weird. I remember always loaning money to Curtis Post; he was such an expert at mooching. I remember making new friends out of old acquaintances and befriending new kids.I remember first really hearing blatant profanity at school. I remember first really appreciating the gospel preached weekly at my church.

Freshman year: I first began to realize I wasn't so alone to come from a broken home. Freshman year: I learned that timidity was unacceptable in reality. I learned how to do all sorts of events in Track and Field, eventually settling for Long Jump and High Jump after I grew sick of running forever on the riverbed (a necessary training event for distance events) and getting shin splints from sprinting events and Triple Jump.

I learned a lot about life in my freshman year in high school, and I now understand as a senior (finally!) what my father meant when he always told me I was disadvantaged because I was young [FSAE: I'm a year young for my class] and had less "life experience." I do not regret any bit of it, although I do wish I was more mature in my actions, because I can't give advice to my little brother without feeling at least a little bit of remorseful hypocrisy when I remember how terrible I was when I was his age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment