Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rant #2: A Sophomore's Disparity

04/07/12
I felt like a fool today when I rushed to class, stepping off curbs the wrong way, so that I temporarily strained my ankles... twice.

I felt like a fool today when I showed up at 11:05, promptly late for my 11 o'clock discussion meeting, only to remember discussion groups normally don't meet on the first week of school.

I felt wise when that extra hour enabled me a leisurely talk with Mr. Winslow about the potential teaching role I might fulfill this fall.

I felt wise when that extra hour enabled me the time to translate some more of the Greek paragraph I was working on.
---------------------------
NO. -the apostle Paul, first-century Hebrew nationalist-turned Gentile preacher, slave of the Christ.

Not all of these are disparities, nor are they all problematic, but I'll let you be the judge, reader. I only am not choosing to spell things out because this is my pre-Greek-midterm rant-post.

1. Christopher once asked me, "Should we as Christians perpetually mourn for the lost? Should we rejoice in our salvation, knowing our brothers and neighbors are lost in the same darkness that bound us?"
I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: who are Israelites; to whom pertained the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the serve of God, and the promises, whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. ---Romans 9:2-5
+
There shall not any man be able to stand before you all the days of your life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with you: I will not fail you, nor forsake you. Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shall you divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them. Only be you strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded you: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper whithersoever you go. This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; but you shall meditate therein day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success. Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be you dismayed: for the LORD your God is with you whithersoever you go. -- Joshua 1:5-9

2. I am dumbfounded that it did not occur to me that library books quickly become unquotable when returned to their proper shelf. I have written: "Medicine quote (pg. 242, 376)," and I intended to quote the 1950s apprentice country general practitioner Barry Fingal's problematic philosophy of practical medicine, the atheistic character of Patrick Taylor's An Irish Country Doctor. This, however, is a month late, at best. I will do my best to quote as accurately as possible from my memory.

"Barry had learned the hard way much earlier that a doctor never could completely care for any one patient. You had to build up a wall of unfeeling, a carapace of indifference, in order to survive; otherwise, you'd crack up" (roughly 242).
"Would you have cared if she died on your operating table, Jake?" "Honestly? Probably not. You can't treat them like people behind the sterile sheets and white beds and closed doors; it would be too much like gutting a fish, fishing around inside them." (roughly 376).

This distressed me greatly. I had committed myself for a full year of university biology in anticipation of being a caring doctor / surgeon. I was going to fix hearts, and mend souls with peoples' attention and mortality salience. (That's a good phrase I got from psychology which basically just means ""how much you think about death, specifically your own.") The reason for this great distress was that the job of a counselor is not much different from the style of practical medicine explained in the rolling hillsides of 1950s Ireland, where people are given more placebos and genuine personal care than actual antibiotics. And if this foolish country doctor thought so, what of the similar personal care required of a councilor? My High School Spanish teacher was taking night classes in order to become a councilor, as being bilingual Spanish / English in California is incredibly useful in helping sort out marital problems. She explained to me numerous times about the unusually high "burn-out" rate of councilors, because it's so hard to leave the numerous peoples' problems at the office. But if I would be a pastor, how could I "leave other peoples' problems at the office?" My best answer, which placated my hunger, was that I would humbly and persistently present needs, requests, pleas, desires, praises, and tears before God Almighty, both those of mine and of others, so that I won't be driven mad with my own inability and inadequacy.

3. At UCI's orientation program, the theme of the weekends was "As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same." -SPOP 2010
This could not be further from the close affiliation the UC system has with the symbol of light. Fiat lux is the motto of the Universities of California, and it means "Let there be light." Sound familiar? These are the first of God's edicts, found in Genesis 1:3. And the theme of Student-Parent-Orientation-Program draws its anonymous quotation as a mockery and aping of Matthew 5:16-- "Let your light so shine before men [as a candle not put under a bushel, but on a candlestick], that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
(and... Proverbs 4:18, Isaiah 9:2, John 1, Acts 9 & 12, II Corinthians 4, Philippians 2, II Peter 1, I John 2, Revelation 21)

I need to study Greek. μι-verbs are the bane of my existence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment