Monday, November 19, 2012

BOR_Chapter 9: Annoyances

Write about those things that most annoy you. They can be trite (people who eat loudly, BO, gum smacking) or they can be significant (lies, hypocrisy, failure). What exactly is it about each that bothers you? What good stories can you tell about being annoyed?

I am a very easily annoyed person, and that is one of my major flaws. I'll admit it, but I think that it may have stemmed from having a spastic little brother to entertain. [FSAE: He's still spazzy, but I'm not annoyed because of him. He, among others, may aggravate, trigger, exacerbate, or stoke my annoyance, but the problem is me. Ain't it always?] Most of the things that annoy me I see in myself which only serve to further pique my soul. [FSAE: I'm definitely an introvert when it comes to being annoyed!]

I'm most annoyed by hypocrisy, because whenever I try to advise my younger brother as he's going through an aggressively rebellious puberty, he reminds me ever-so-clearly the very same flaws I reveal laid root in my own life.

I am a very methodical person. I call myself semi-perfectionistic (because I'm only half-Korean), and disorganization really gets to me. My brother, father, Mr. Becksvoort, and Trevor Van Dyke are good examples who test my patience with that little pet peeve. It drives me just a little bit crazy when I see clutters, especially when they are "erratically arranged" or "organized with a method to my madness" as Trevor says. [FSAE: *Gulp.* I'm guilty of this now. At least it doesn't bother me as much. And Trevor definitely has a madness to his methods.]

Courtesy, manners, and chivalry were bred into me by an older generation when my grandparents babysat me in the first few years of my life. They taught me to treat others better than I would like to be treated, and when I realized that this was impossible because my own mind wants the best out of life for myself, I realized that they were simply echoing Jesus' words to love our neighbor as ourselves and to do unto others as we would have done unto us. This really gets under my skin when I see other people ignore or be unaware of the basic laws of courtesy. Were they never taught? Do they respect unspoken rules? And why do I not follow the rules of selflessness as my Savior did?

Cursing really gets to me, because it really reveals a problem with the heart. I don't mean that cursing is a cardiac disorder, but rather a symptom of an ungrateful or unregenerate "nephesh," or the center of human thought and emotion. Our Lord Jesus said, "The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of the heart his mouth speaks" (Biblegateway.com, Luke 6:45). Too often, however, I find myself screaming obscenities in my mind at discourteous drivers, school bullies, and myself when I catch myself doing wrong.

Giving in to temptation is another one of my pet peeves. That may sound pretty deep and intellectual [FSAE: Nope. It doesn't.], but I see it in myself and my actions every day: should I watch one more episode of the "That 70s Show" marathon? Should I be watching it in the first place? Should I do more work first, before I play? Should I be more cautious of hat I do for entertainment? That "R" rating can't really be that bad, and so on and so forth.

Above all else, what gets to me the most is when I see these short-comings in my own self, because I am so prone to just pass the dying man on the road from Jericho to Jerusalem, and I can count on my fingers the times that the Holy Spirit has stirred in my life the ability and desire to be a good "Samaritan," if you will, and do what is loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, and self-controlled. 

1 comment: