Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Floods

Working at CCA makes me happy. Twice in the past week I got a biblical reference slapped in my face by snarky church elders. One of them found me before lunchtime setting up my classroom in the dark for Thursday's memory work, and he jokingly put on a very serious tone: "Joseph. You're a child of the light, and you work in the dark?" The other happened this morning. One of the bathrooms flooded the school building, but I missed it because I don't come in to teach until lunchtime. I told one of the elders I saw working to sponge up the remaining moisture from the carpets that it was very reminiscent of the time he and I had worked to sponge up the flood caused by leaky pipes at the hotel at which the Czech Republic English Camp was held this past year. He, staying in character, had a quick retort: "We were spared, but not because we were righteous!"

Non-sequitur:

"Storm" / Psalm 13 / "No Air" / Psalm 42 / "Praise You in the Storm"

how long have i been in this storm
so overwhelmed by the ocean's shapeless form? 

the water's getting harder to tread
with these waves crashing over my head...


if i could just see You, everything would be all right;
if i'd see You this darkness would turn to light...

and i will walk on water.
and You will catch me when i fall.
and everything will be alright. 
-
how long will You forget me, O LORD? 
forever? 
how long will You hide Your face from me?
how long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily?
how long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
consider and hear me, O LORD my God: 
lighten my eyes, 
lest i sleep the sleep of death;
lest mine enemy say, "i have prevailed against him;"
and those that trouble me rejoice when i am moved.
but i have trusted in Your mercy;
my heart shall rejoice in Your salvation. (13v1-5)

-
tell me how i'm supposed to breathe with no air. 
how do You expect me to live alone with just me?
my heart won't move, it's incomplete--
'cause my world revolves around You
it's so hard for me to breathe

with no air.

can't live, can't breathe with no air:
it's how i feel whenever You ain't there--
there's no air, no air!

You've got me out here in the water so deep!
if You ain't here, i just can't breathe--
there's no air, 

no air.
-
i know You didn't bring me out here to drown.
so why am i ten feet under and upside down?

barely surviving has become my purpose
'cause i'm so used to living underneath the surface.

-
as the deer pants after the water brooks, so pants my soul after You, O God. 
my soul thirsts for God, 
for the living God: 
when shall i come and appear before God?
my tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, 
"where is your God?"...
...deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterspouts:
all Your waves and Your billows are gone over me. (42v1-3,7)
-
my strength is almost gone;
how can i carry on
if i can't find You? 

as the thunder rolls
i barely hear You whisper through the rain:
"I'm with you."

as Your mercy falls,
i raise my hands to praise
the God who gives and takes away. 

-
everything is alright.
-
i will sing unto the LORD, because He has dealt bountifully with me. (13v6)
-
why are you cast down, O my soul?
and why are you disquieted in me?
hope in God: for i shall yet praise Him, the health of my countenance, and my God. (42v11)
-
i lift my eyes unto the hills;
where does my help come from?

my help comes from the Lord--
the Maker of heaven and earth. 

-
the LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, 
and in the night His song shall be with me,
and my prayer unto the God of my life. (42v8)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad CCA is awesome. =) And I appreciate the cycle of verses and songs.

    ReplyDelete