Tuesday, June 5, 2012

BOR_Chapter 6: Childhood Games

One thing elementary school did for me was teach me to run, and run fast! At Covenant Christian Academy, all ten of so of the kids my age would organize games during recesses, and I must say in retrospect, that I love the kind of organic bonding that comes with those games. At the time, I just liked to run, because I could beat the other boys and girls. We played games like "Colors," "Capture the Flag," and all sorts of variations on the game "Tag."

Colors was a really awesome game, and I remember it more than the other games because we actually played Colors in the pool up in Mammoth Camp for Cross Country pre-season summer conditioning this year [summer of 2009]. The person that's "it" stands in the center of the field (or pool) and calls out a color and everyone else tries to run across to the other side based on whether they are wearing the color the "it" person chose. It's loads of fun, and it sure helps to be fast in order to evade being tagged and turned into a minion of the "it"-person. I've been told that this game is also called "Octopus," but I've never heard of "Octopus" being played outside of the water.

"Capture the Flag" was the most fun game I can remember from my elementary years. I totally remember how much fun it was to swiftly slide into the "Jail" and redeem one of my fallen comrades, and how much fun it was to sneakily creep behind enemy lines and snag the oh-so-precious flag that determined the game. I was actually really good at that game, and it brings a certain sense of pride when people want you on their team, regardless of the circumstances. Whether that pride is good or not, I've found it true that whenever I'm in high demand, I grow haughty and arrogant, and I don't like that person I can become.

"Tag" is the typical childhood game that everyone is familiar with. It's really the simplest and easiest game to teach children--all one has to do is poke a child, yell, "You're it!!", and run in the opposite direction. I admired the creativity of the variations my friends and I developed for it. We played "Freeze Tag" when you have three lives and must be unfrozen after each tagging, "TV Tag" when you must yell a TV show in order to live, and "Tunnel Tag" when you must be unfrozen by someone crawling through your legs! Those days were amazing, and I think there is something to be said about the way God wired children to chase each other, not in pursuit, but in friendly love.

God is [also] the God of games, entertainment, pleasure, and simple joys. 

1 comment:

  1. All the seniors turned in their Books of Reflections this week. :)

    ReplyDelete